Production Floor Manager
This position description identifies the major responsibilities of this job. It does not include all aspects of the position such as the potential additional duties assigned by Managers and the requirement for flexibility in helping others for the company’s overall benefit.
The Production Floor Manager is responsible for the production of products in a safe and timely manner. The Production Floor Manager is responsible for their assigned area and all personnel and equipment associated in this area. This person plans and directs all activities and personnel within their area of production responsibility.
The Production Floor Manager is a member of the Manufacturing Operations team and collaborates with the other functional teams (Sales Operations, Engineering, Finance, Materials, & HR) on executing company strategies, meeting budgets and the work unit planned processes. They are expected to support design and development and to implement processes and metrics in all areas of materials and purchasing including but not limited to: lean, 5S, workplace safety, onboarding and training. In addition, this person must demonstrate hands-on leadership in unison with the Director of Manufacturing on implementing strong cultural beliefs and values throughout the organization.
- Provides daily direction and leadership to the Production Department team members; Makes recommendations for manpower needs including involvement in recruitment and selection process as well as employee terminations in the Production Department
- Accountable for staffing, training, motivation and leadership within area of responsibility; develops a team work environment; builds departmental standards for performance; and ensures that all employees in the Production Department are properly trained
- Ensures that units produced are verified against pertinent documentation
- Establishes and maintains procedures for determining and meeting company and customer delivery commitments by providing labor, and effective use of time
- Recommends and assists in implementing operating procedures and promotes continual improvement within the department and the company
- Follows documented manufacturing/assembly processes using the operations procedures and may help to generate new standard documentation
- Resolves emergent issues for expedited deliveries to the customer and manage manpower in accordance
- Coordinates daily/weekly/monthly provided schedule to meet delivery demands
- Monitors the quality, quantity, cost and efficiency of products produced
- Maintains working collaborative relationships with other leaders to ensure team is focused on producing excellent products safely and on time
- Interfaces with other departments to resolve production problems
- Ensures that daily goals are met and sustained daily/weekly/monthly
- Ensures company policies and procedures are reviewed often and notifies the Director of Manufacturing when such policies or procedures may need to be revised to increase work efficiency in the department
- Observes safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials properly; Reports potentially unsafe conditions
POSITION SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES:
Experience with ERP systems
MS Office suite
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university or 3 years related experience.
EXPERIENCE: 3 years of management or supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment
Strong team building and leadership abilities
ERP systems experience or a willingness & capability to learn new computer software programs
Excellent manager with hands-on style, strong technical knowledge and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects
Knowledge of production and manufacturing processes
Experience with lean concepts and tools.
Strong analytical, administrative, and organizational skills
Stand, walk, or be mobile for up to an eight-hour shift; ascend and push, and pull up to 50 lbs.; bend, twist and reach to check freight, stack boxes, and label.
Gamma Scientific, located in San Diego, California, has been dedicated to helping organizations reach their light measurement goals for over 50 years. We work with some of the leading manufacturers, universities and government institutions in the world, and also operate a NVLAP accredited testing and calibration laboratory (NVLAP Lab Code 200823-0).
If you are interested in solving complex technical problems we would like to hear from you.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org