ENERGY STAR Lighting Certification

reflectance measurement

Gamma Scientific’s in-house, NVLAP accredited laboratory (NVLAP Lab Code 200823-0) offers comprehensive light measurement services, including third party ENERGY STAR™ Certification testing for lighting products.

We also offer LM-79 testing for Solid State Lighting Luminaries and LM-80:2008 for Solid State Lighting Luminaires (SSL Life Tests), as well as ISO-17025 accredited calibration services.

 

Request a Quote
EPA Recognized Laboratory for
  • Luminaires: Solid State Directional
  • Integral LED Lamps (Directional/Non-Directional and Decorative): ILL Omnidirectional/Directional
  • Integral LED Lamps (Directional/Non-Directional and Decorative): Integral LED Lamps (Decorative)
  • Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs): GU 24 Lamps
  • Certified Subcomponent Database (CSD): Fluorescent Ballasts
  • Certified Subcomponent Database (CSD): HID Ballasts

Third Party Certification

The EPA requires that all ENERGY STAR products must be certified by a third-party to ensure consumer confidence in the ENERGY STAR program and label. Product testing is done in an EPA-recognized laboratory that has been verified to meet strict, international standards for quality and competency. Ongoing tests are also required to ensure that products continue to deliver superior energy efficiency and performance. Companies who label their products as ENERGY STAR without obtaining proper third-party certification will have corrective actions enforced against them and have to remove the ENERGY STAR label from their products.

About ENERGY STAR

Devices carrying the ENERGY STAR service mark generally use 20%-30% less energy than required by federal standards
The ENERGY STAR program was created by the US Department of Energy and US Environmental Protection Agency in 1992 to assist consumers in finding energy efficient products. Statistics from www.energystar.gov.

  • Americans, with the help of ENERGY STAR, saved enough energy in 2010 alone to avoid greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those from 33 million cars — all while saving nearly $18 billion on their utility bills.
  • If every American home replaced just one light bulb with a light bulb that’s earned the ENERGY STAR, we would save enough energy to light 3 million homes for a year, save about $600 million in annual energy costs, and prevent 9 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions per year, equivalent to those from about 800,000 cars.

ENERGY STAR Light Bulbs

  • Save about $6 a year in electricity costs and more than $40 over their lifetime
  • Use about 75% less energy than traditional incandescent light bulbs and last at least six times longer
  • Produce about 75% less heat, making them safer and cutting home cooling costs
  • Meet strict performance requirements that are tested and certified by a third party

Statistics from www.energystar.gov.

Summary of the ENERGY STAR™ Solid-State Lighting (SSL) Criteria V. 1.1

Residential

Criteria Item (Residential) Under-cabinet kitchen lighting Portable desk task lights Recessed/ surface/pendantmounted downlights Ceiling-mounted luminaires with diffusers¹ Cove Lighting Surface-mounted luminaires with directional heads²
Light Output Measured fixture length (in)/12 x 125 200 lumens ≤ 4.5 aperture³: 345 lumens > 4.5 aperture: 575 lumens <= 8” max luminaire width: 375 lumens >8” max luminiare width: 750 lumens Measured fixture length (in)/12 x 200 200 lumens
Efficacy 24 lm/W 29 lm/W 35 lm/W 30 lm/W 45 lm/W 35 lm/W
Zonal Lumen Density 60% total lumens within 0-60° zone, 25% within 60-90° zone 85% total lumens within 0-60° zone 75% total lumens within 0-60° zone 35% of lumens within 120-15°0 zone 85% within 0-90° zone
Allowable CCTs 2700K, 3000K, 3500K 2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K, 4500K, 5000K 2700K, 3000K, 3500K 2700K, 3000K, 3500K 2700K, 3000K, 3500K 2700K, 3000K, 3500K
Criteria Item (Residential) Outdoor wall-mounted porch lights Outdoor step lights Outdoor pathway lights Outdoor polearmmounted decorative luminaires
Light Output 150 lumens 50 lumens 100 lumens 300 lumens
Efficacy 24 lm/W 20 lm/W 25 lm/W 35 lm/W
Zonal Lumen Density 85% total lumens in 0-90° zone 85% total lumens in 0-90° zone 85% total lumens in 0-90° zone 85% total lumens in 0-90° zone. Cannot emit light above 110°.
Allowable CCTs 2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K, 4500K, 5000K, 5700 K, 6500 K
Lumen Maintenance 25,000 hours residential, 35,000 hours commercial
CRI 75
Off-state Power Products shall not draw power in the off state⁴
Power Factor 0.70 residential, 0.90 commercial
Operating Frequency 120 Hz

 
Commercial

Criteria Item (Commercial) Under-cabinet shelf-mounted task lighting Portable desk task lights Recessed/ surface/pendantmounted downlights Wall wash luminaires Bollards
Light Output Measured fixture length (in)/12 x 125 200 lumens ≤ 4.5 aperture3: 345 lumens > 4.5 aperture: 575 lumens 575 lumens

Efficacy 29 lm/W 29 lm/W 35 lm/W 40 lm/W 35 lm/W
Zonal Lumen Density 60% total lumens within 0-60° zone, 25% within 60-90° zone 85% total lumens within 0-60° zone 75% total lumens within 0-60° zone

50% of total lumens within 20-4°0 zone

<15% total lumens within 90-110° zone. Cannot emit light over 110. °
Allowable CCTs

2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K, 4500K, 5000K

2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K, 4500K, 5000K, 5700 K, 6500 K
Lumen Maintenance (L70)

25,000 hours residential, 35,000 hours commercial

CRI

75

Off-state Power

Products shall not draw power in the off state⁴

Power Factor

0.70 residential, 0.90 commercial

Operating Frequency

120 Hz

Other, requirements include: color spatial uniformity, color maintenance, thermal management, electromagnetic and radio frequency interference, noise, and transient protection. There is a reduced air leakage requirement for residential recessed, surface, and pendant-mounted downlights. Products designed to replace fluorescent tubes, hi-bays, or troffers are not included in these criteria.

1 Including but not limited to: flush-mounts, close-to-ceiling, and ceiling fan light kits
2 Including but not limited to: ceiling fan light kits, track lights, and rail lights
3 Luminaire aperture must be less than or equal to 8 inches in diameter (if circular) or on any side (rectangular).
4 Exception: Products with integral occupancy, motion, photo-controls or individually addressable fixtures with external control and intelligence are exempt from this requirement. The power draw for such products shall not exceed 0.5 watts when in the off state.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This